Title: Shadowlands #1
Author: Kate Brian
Series: Shadowlands #1
Type/Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Contemporary
Date Published: January 8, 2013
My Rating: *****
Rory Miller had one chance to fight back and she took it. Rory survived and the serial killer who attacked her escaped. Now that the infamous Steven Nell is on the loose, Rory must enter the witness protection program. Entering the program alongside her, is her father and sister Darcy. The trio starts a new life and a new beginning leaving their friends and family behind without a goodbye.
Starting over in a new town with only each other is unimaginable for Rory and Darcy. They were inseparable as children but now they can barely stand each other. As the sisters settle in to Juniper Landing, a picturesque vacation island, it seems like their new home may be just the fresh start they need. They fall in with a group of beautiful, carefree teens and spend their days surfing, partying on the beach, and hiking into endless sunsets. Just as they’re starting to feel safe again, one of their new friends goes missing. Is it a coincidence? Or is the nightmare beginning all over again?
I flew through this book in two days. I have read a lot of Brian’s books this year and enjoyed almost all of them. This was definitely what I can tell is Kate Brian’s knack for the right amount of suspense with twists and turns, and then she leaves you with a cliffhanger at the end. Of course I wanted to go straight to reading Hereafter but I already had other books that needed read first.
- From the first page Brian builds up the suspense with Rory’s teacher chasing after her until she just stops the story with a cliffhanger. I had to keep reading to see what would happen next.
- I didn’t expect several things that happened during the book like with Mr. Nell and I definitely didn’t expect the ending, but I can’t say too much more without revealing spoilers. Definitely creepy though.
- The fast pace and action of the story.
- Krista was one of my favorite characters.
- I disliked the fact that Rory is supposed to be in hiding and although she doesn’t disclose the details of her past, she is still very quick to trust everyone. I thought she would have been more cautious. I know that she knew who was after her, but she didn’t know any of them and was somewhat naive.
- Her sister, Darcy, got on my nerves. I understand she was a teenage girl. She wanted to go to her senior party and have a normal life, but she was just so selfish. Hello! After her mother died and then her sister is almost killed you would think she would care just a bit more, wouldn’t you?
About the Author:
Kate Brian is the prolific author of many books for teens including the Private series, the new Privilege series, and Sweet 16. She lives with her husband in New Jersey. She writes under the pseudonym Kate Brian, instead of using her real name: Kieran Scott.
A Few of the Author’s Other Books:
- The Private Series
- The Privilege Series
Would I Recommend This Book? Yes